What is the role of the Guild?

Guild is the exclusive representative of all contract and adjunct certificated faculty of Glendale Community College District, with a membership of over 800 district employees. 


What statewide and national union is the Guild affiliated with?


What are the Guild's primary responsibilities?

  • Negotiate and enforce the contract
  • Represent the membership in all matters related to work
  • Answer job-related questions and assist in any job-related matter
  • Promote public education
  • Promote the growth of our profession
  • Work politically through PQE to elect pro-public education, pro-union candidates. PQE, or the Professors for Quality Education is, by law, a separate entity within the Guild devoted to supporting candidates who support public education and who otherwise favor our positions on a variety of work-related issues. You can sign up for PQE through payroll deductions using a form supplied by the Guild. You can also make a contribution by check or cash.  


How do I get in contact with the Guild?

The Union Office is located in room SR 217 on the second floor of the San Rafael building. 

Mailing address is:

GCC Guild Local 2276
1500 N. Verdugo Road 
Glendale, CA 91208

818.240.1000 ext. 5395
818.551.5249 fax


What is the leadership structure of the Guild?

All policy is set according to the Guild Constitution and Bylaws.  The Guild Executive Committee, served by 10 or 11 members, meets every Thursday from 12:20 – 1:30. Officers include: The Guild President, Past President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President, Operations Officer, Secretary, Grievance Officer, Garfield Campus Stewart, Public Information Officer, Budget representative, and Chief Negotiator.


How do you join?

Although your benefits and rights begin generally when you do, you are not officially a union member until you sign a membership application card. Membership ensures the right to vote in union elections and ratification of negotiated changes to the contract; as well as member benefits from AFT, which include professional and personal resources and discounts.


How can I get involved in the union?

We invite you to get involved in the union by attending general membership meetings (link to meeting dates), volunteering to serve on the PQE or elections committees, or running for elected Guild positions: President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice President (adjunct only), Operations Officer, Secretary, Grievance Officer, Garfield Campus Stewart (Garfield faculty only), or Public Information Officer. 


I have a question about the contract, my rights, or the like. Whom do I call?

The Grievance Officer and Chief Negotiator may be able to provide you wiith quick answers to questions pertaining to the contract. Although each of us has individual responsibilities, we all routinely pinch hit for each other and are reasonably familiar with all aspects of the union's work. In other words, if you need an immediate answer - we ought to be to help you right away even if the appropriate person is not in the office at that time. In any case, leave a message or email one of us and we will get back to you quickly.